If you like a nice hearty soup to beat back the winter cold, then this is a definite keeper. This lentil soup is very flavorful and relatively simple to make. Oh and get this…. It’s Healthy for you too!!! Try it, you won’t be disappointed!
Garlicky Lentil Soup
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 1/3 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained;
- 2 onions, minced;
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 carrot, minced;
- 2 tablespoons olive oil;
- 2 bay leaves;
- Generous pinch of dried oregano;
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock;
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar;
- salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Celery leaves, to garnish;
- crusty bread rolls, to serve.
- Put all ingredients, except for the vinegar, seasoning and garnish, in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan;
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring the soup occasionally to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pan;
- Remove the bay leaves and add the red-wine vinegar,with the salt and pepper to taste;
- Serve the soup in hot bowls, garnished with celery leaves;
- Serve with warm crusty rolls.
- If the soup is too thick, thin it with a little extra vegetable stock or water.
- This recipe is from The Cook’s Encyclopedia of Soup
These are the ingredients
Rinse and drain…no need to soak these lentils
Chop Chop Chop
Expedite the process with a food processor
Or…the Slap Chop! Welcome back Vince Offer!
Put all ingredients, except for the vinegar, seasoning and garnish and bring to a boil.
Stir…Stir…Stir…to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn
When mushy, take out bay leaves
Then, add red wine vinegar
Season to taste
Make it look pretty and enjoy! We enjoyed it with a fresh baguette on the side.
Have you tried out this recipe? Then we’d like to hear from you! Share your thoughts and tips by leaving us a comment! Thanks from TGIAC!